How and why should software testing be implemented?
Davy becomes ISTQB expert
In December 2022, Davy obtained the ISTQB Advanced Test Analyst certification after the first level in June 2022, allowing him to master level for the implementation and good practices related to software testing.
This ISTQB course builds on the knowledge, gained from the course level foundation, provides additional skills, including the ability to analyze the testing of a software product, a useful skill for Ventio software services development in the cloud.
It should be remembered that software testing is essential to any development, in order to guarantee customer satisfaction or to detect defects which would render the software unusable. They are also necessary in the context of a quality approach associated with software development.
The course offers specific techniques to optimise a testing approach and thus increase the efficiency of a testing campaign.
The 3 pillars of expert training are :
- Better understand the positioning and role of the test analyst in an organisation
- Using risk management to improve its approach
- Manage all experience-based black box techniques in the design and implementation of test campaign
This high level training is mainly intended for professionals in the testing business such as Test Analysts, Test Engineers, Test Managers.
What does the ISTQB Test Expert certification allow?
- Leading test management on a project
- Define a test schedule
- Evaluate a test plan and suggest improvements
- Structuring the tasks defined in the test strategy in terms of requirements and functional areas
- Analyse the system in the required level of detail to meet quality expectations
- Evaluate the system requirements to determine the validity area
- Prepare and perform appropriate activities and report their progress.
- Know how the necessary testing tools and techniques implementation.
What software tests to conduct ?
Fully aware of the importance of software testing in any development, the Ventio team plans and conducts its software testing in order to :
- Finding residual defects
- Gaining confidence in the level of quality from both an operational and user perspective
- Prevent defects
Several methods co-exist for tests implementation in software development processes. At Ventio, we focus on an incremental approach similar to Agile method. Tests are performed at the end of each increment (or “sprint”) as the objective is to find defects before deploying new features. The entire application is also tested at the end of the project. This process guarantees high quality results and is perfectly suited to large projects.
On the other hand, the waterfall methode, which is more adapted to small projects, makes it possible to speed up the project because it breaks it down into sequences, but it is extremely complex to go back and defects discovered late are very expensive to correct.
Whichever methodology is chosen, it relies on a variety of complementary tests.
Among the tests we carry out in our developments are :
- Component tests: These are unit tests that aim to find defects in the component, i.e. each element of the code will be tested to detect malfunctions, bugs.
- Integration tests: these tests are carried out to show defects in the interfaces and interactions of integrated components or systems. The aim is to verify the correct operation of a specific part of the software.
- System tests: These tests are used to test the system behavior and detect calculation errors or bad functioning.
- Acceptance tests or usability tests: These types of tests make it possible to validate the quality of the product. With users, we will test whether the product meets their expectations and is usable, by setting up surveys or questionnaires at the end of the tests.
- Error estimation tests: in these an experienced tester will anticipate errors, defects and failures based on his knowledge.
- Functional tests: these are tests to be carried out in order to evaluate the expected functionality of the software. For example, we can test whether the right configuration files are set up when creating our cloud services. To do this, we can set up a series of tests to validate these tasks by writing logs.
How to manage software testing ?
The first step is to define the testing schedule, which must be rigorously followed. The earlier defects are detected, the less time and money it takes to resolve them. At each stage of testing, we conduct formal reviews to report the results to the team and must document the procedures.
When conducting tests, internal communication is central as it saves time and ensures the traceability of the tests carried out.
At the end of test projects, i.e. when the final product is released, testing must continue in order to assess customer satisfaction or when new functionalities are released. Indeed, if the project is built in Agile method, the addition of elements continues until the end of the product’s life.
The implementation of software tests is an exciting and challenging aspect of development. While the deployment of tests requires a great sense of rigour, the tests management also requires a clear product vision and solid project management skills.
At Ventio, we aim for the highest quality standards in our software to provide our customers with safe products. Do not delay in contacting us for your software development projects with cloud computing technologies, especially those involving biomedical imaging data management.